CNC (Computer Numerical Control) is an automated control of machining tools such as drills, lathes, mills, and 3D printers using a computer. It takes digitized data and is controlled, automated, and monitored by a computer and CAM (Computer-Aided Manufacturing) program. CNC machining uses highly detailed programming operations. These machines follow instructions without allowing any unwanted variation or human error. The parts will be high-quality, precise, and identical. CNC machining can also produce parts with intricate, complex designs. CNC Machines are widely used for its high precision, high reliability, high efficiency, and ability to create complex curved workpieces. Here are some tips to choose your CNC machine.
- Machine Goal – The first thing that you will consider in choosing your CNC machine is to know what would be the goal of the CNC machine that you will purchase.
- Model Selection – Under the premise of meeting the processing requirements, the simpler the equipment, the lower the risk. Both of the turning machining centers and CNC lathes machining shaft parts, but a turning center that meets the same processing specification is several times more expensive than a CNC lathe.
- Weight of the Machine – The common materials used in the construction of CNC machines are aluminum, polymer composite, and Iron cast. This was less of a consideration but still, you need to think about the weight of the CNC machine that you will purchase. When you need a durable machine for tough jobs, the iron cast is the best build. Other materials are more suitable for lighter tasks.
- CNC system selection – When purchasing a CNC machining center, the same machine can be equipped with a variety of CNC systems. In the system which can be chosen, the performance varies greatly and directly affects the pricing of the equipment. Every company has a range of products in a variety of specifications. The CNC system that you will select should be based on the main performance of the machine, and make a comprehensive analysis of system performance and price before selecting the appropriate system. The CNC software for this type of system is all installed in the computer, and the hardware part is only a standardized universal interface between the computer and the servo drive and the external.
- Power Consumption – Depending on the kind of equipment you purchase, you may need to increase the power available in the workshop. Check the requirements of your machine and make the necessary adjustments at the workplace.
- Precision Selection – There are 20-30 precision inspection items for CNC machines, but the most characteristic items are: single-axis positioning accuracy, single-axis repeat positioning accuracy, and roundness of the test piece produced by simultaneous machining of the above two-axis. The present software in the numerical control system has a rich error compensation function, which can stably compensate for the systematic errors of each link in the feed transmission chain. However, the error compensation function in electronic control is not able to compensate for random errors. They often reflect different movement losses due to the load size of the workbench, the length of the moving distance, the speed of the moving positioning speed, etc.
- Availability of Spare Parts – Like any other machine, your CNC machine may break down or wear down in use. You should ensure that the brand that you purchase can be easily repaired by your technicians and that the spare parts are readily available. It eliminates the downtime between the time of breaking down to the time that the machine is back on. The most efficient and cost-effective way to decrease machine downtime is to keep an inventory of critical spare parts on hand.
- Main specification selection of a CNC machine – The main feature specification of the CNC machining center should be selected according to the determined range of typical workpiece machining dimensions. The main specifications of the CNC machining center are the stroke range of several CNC axes and the spindle motor power. The main motor power of the CNC machining center can also have a variety of different configurations on the same type of machine. The cutting rigidity and spindle high-speed performance of the machine tools are generally reflected. The spindle motor power of the light machine tools may be 1-2 (level) less powerful than a standard machine tool.
- How much you’re willing to invest – Most people only consider the cost of the machine. However, we need to consider both the time and dollar cost. If you don’t have the time to invest in your machine then your dollar cost will increase. If you don’t have the money to invest in your machine then the time cost will increase.
CNC Machines are expensive. Therefore, it’s important to take the time to choose a machine that will serve you as needed and lasts long. For more information on choosing the right CNC machine, contact the team at Tramar Industries today. If you’re ready to purchase a CNC machine, look through our inventory of used CNC Machines.